- Ofcom forces BT Wholesale to slash rural
broadband ISP charges;
- Simplifydigital.com reacts to the media regulator's move;
- Simplifydigital.com lists the most cost effective rural
With this move Ofcom hopes to encourage competition within rural
and somewhat monopolised areas, also known as Market 1, which
includes roughly 3m UK homes and businesses.
Geoff Slaughter, Head of Online at
Simplifydigital.com commented on the news:
"Ofcom's decision will be welcome news for broadband customers
in rural and remote parts of the UK.
"Our research shows a significant gap still remains in the
value customers receive, when they live in areas where costs are
higher and there is less choice of broadband providers. What
we need to see now, is ISPs responding to this change quickly, so
that customers can benefit as soon as possible from greater choice
and more competitive pricing."
As broadband providers are under increasing pressure to provide
cheaper broadband deals Simplifydigital.com lists the most cost
effective deals available for residents of rural areas:
1. Satellite broadband from Tooway
- Get download speeds of up to 6Mb and upload
speeds of 1Mb
- 12GB of monthly download allowance until
- Connection fee of £29.99
- Hardware cost of £199.99
- Monthly fee of £24.99
Despite the costs listed above, this is one of the cheapest
alternatives for people who can't get 'conventional broadband' via
their phone line or fibre optic networks such as Virgin
2. Mobile MiFi from Three
- Create your own WiFi network with Three's
- Comes with 1GB of monthly download
- Connect up to 5 WiFi enabled devices,
including laptops and tablets
- Great network with 97% UK coverage
Monthly cost is only £9.91 a month on an 18 month contract, the
MiFi device is free.
3. Broadband through your phone line
from Virgin Media National
- Virgin Media National is the broadband product
for people who don't live in a Virgin Media cable area
- Get the fastest broadband your line can
- A massive 40GB monthly download
- Free wireless router
- Take Virgin Media line rental for £13.90 a
month and get free weekend calls to UK landlines
Costs £7.99 a month plus £13.90 for the line rental. This package
isn't available to the entire UK.
Notes to editors:
Simplifydigital.com offers a free and impartial "Switching
Support" service for anyone looking to get a digital TV, broadband
or phone package.
Its London-based impartial experts are available for free over
the phone, to answer all those tricky questions and match the
family's needs to the best deal available.
Simplifydigital.com's experts are available for free on 0800 1
388 388 seven days a week (Lines open Mon-Fri 8am-8pm; Saturday
9am-5:30pm; Sunday 10-5:30pm).
You can also use Simplifydigital.com's Ofcom accredited
comparison engine online at www.simplifydigital.com.