Setting up your TalkTalk wireless router
When you receive a package from TalkTalk in the post, here's
what you are going to find inside:
- A wireless router
- An Ethernet cable
- A broadband cable
- A Microfilter
- A power adapter
You don't need anything else to start the service running.
Getting your new broadband and TV package up and running
How do I set up my TalkTalk broadband service?
Follow these quick and easy instructions and you will start
browsing the web in no time:
- Look at your master socket. That's the one which usually
provides the home phone line to your household. Is there anything
plugged in currently? If so, unplug it and plug in the microfilter
instead. The microfilter helps to seperate home phone signals from
broadband signals so that that two services can work simultaneously
without interfering with each other.
- You will find that the microfilter has two ports: one is a
regular home phone line whereas the other is for the new broadband
cable supplied in the box.
- Time to connect your devices. Connect one end of the broadband
cable (it's the grey one) into the microfilter and the other into
your wireless router.
- Plug your power adaptor into the router and turn it on at the
- Make sure you switch on the power for the wireless router,
you'll find the small switch at the back.
- If you want a wired connection rather than wireless, simply
take the yellow cable and connect it to the wireless router and
your device for example a laptop or desktop computer.
That's all there is to it - you are now ready to browse away and
enjoy your broadband service from TalkTalk.
How do i set up my TalkTalk TV service?
Setting up your TalkTalk TV service should take no more than ten
mintues. If you have any doubts, you can call TalkTalk's support
line on 0870 444 1820 at any point. To get started, just follow
- Get your router ready for the TV service by making sure that
the broadband service is up and running. Go to talktalk.co.uk/updaterouter to update your
router and get it TV-ready. This will require a quick software
download which will work perfectly on desktop computers or laptops
but not on tablets.
- You are now ready to start connecting the cables. Connect your
router to the YouView set top box using the provided Ethernet
- Next, connect the set top box to your TV using the HDMI cable.
Don't worry, you'll see the HDMI sign written on the devices so
you'll know where to plug it in. While TalkTalk recommends
using the HDMI cable, you can still use the the SCART cable as an
- You can now start connecting the new service to your aerial.
Unplug the existing aerial cable from the back of your TV and plug
it into the "Antenna In" port on the back of you YouView box.
Alternatively, you can plug in your new aerial cable that came with
the YouView box in the post.
- Now connect up the power cable and switch on the service. Make
sure the main power button is press in at the back of the YouView
- Switch on your YouView box and your telly. You will be required
to apply some settings such as a password as well as some security
questions, just use your remote to easily navigate between the
How do I access TalkTalk Player?
TalkTalk Player is available exclusively to TalkTalk Customers.
To set it up, click on the TalkTalk button on your remote and go to
TalkTalk Player. You will then be required to enter a TalkTalk
Player pin which you can find when you go to talktalk.co.uk/tvpin. As soon as you have your
pin you will be able to stream the latest movies and TV shows
directly to your YouView box.
How can I make my TalkTalk broadband faster?
First, check the current speed of your connection using the free TalkTalk speed checker tool. You have to
do this from home, when connected to your TalkTalk service. If the
speeds you're receiving are consistently a lot lower than the 'up
to' speeds quoted for your chosen TalkTalk package, there may be a
technical problem or a few simple settings that need tweaking. You
can check to see if there are any current reported issues with the TalkTalk broadband
TalkTalk has a handy broadband troubleshooter tool that may help
you fix any intermittent issues with your internet connection. Here
are our top tips for making your broadband faster:
- Make sure your wireless router is in a good position, away from
your TV, any concrete walls, floors and not tangled up in
- Turn it off and on again. It might sound simple but a quick
reset will often solve technical issues.
- If you experience Wi-Fi issues, try connecting an ethernet
cable to see if it's an internet service problem or a Wi-Fi signal
- Try changing the channel on your TalkTalk router
to avoid wireless congestion
For more help and advice managing your TalkTalk broadband
service, please contact the ISP directly. You can find TalkTalk's
contact details on our Provider contact numbers page.